Please note that your name and contact information should
not appear anywhere on the manuscrip
t document being uploaded. If your name or
any contact information appears anywhere on the uploaded document, you risk
disqualification. Please also make sure that the file’s name does not include
your name. For instance, do not name a document janedoemanuscript.doc
name it manuscript.doc
Acceptable file formats:.pdf, .doc, .docx, .txt, .rtf, .wpf, .odt
1. $2,000 will be awarded for the best short story, which will be published in the fall/winter 2018 issue of Colorado Review.
2. This year’s final judge is Margot Livesey; friends and students
(current & former) of the judge are not eligible to compete, nor are
Colorado State University employees, students, or alumni.
3. Entry fee to submit online is $17 per story (the extra $2
goes to the amazing people who run Submittable); there is no limit on
the number of entries you may submit, though each story must be a
4. Stories must be previously unpublished.
5. There are no theme restrictions, but stories should be at least 10 pages and under 50 pages.
6. All manuscripts must be double-spaced.
7. The story title and your name, address, phone number, and e-mail
address should be entered in the cover letter field, separate from your
story. Be sure your name is NOT anywhere in the story itself.
8. Contest opens December 1, 2017. Deadline is March 14, 2018. We'll observe a grace period of five days for both postal and online submissions.
10. Winner will be announced by July 2018.
11. All submissions will be considered for publication.